Do you ever go to the supermarket and feel like there are too many options? Well the same can be said in the world of kitchen renovations. How do you know where to start when it comes to the features, function and design of your new kitchen?
In this article, we'll help you to collect all of your kitchen ideas in one place, so that you can get more clarity with the type of kitchen you want to create. We've also created a "Downloadable Kitchen Planning Checklist" that you can use to help you plan your kitchen renovation.
If you're looking for a more comprehensive guide to renovating your kitchen, check out the Smart Renovator's Guide to Kitchen Renovations.
If you're thinking of making some changes to your kitchen, firstly, ask yourself the following:
- What is the end goal of the kitchen renovation?
- Have you determined your budget?
- What works in the existing space and, could those featured be incorporated into the new design?
- Who does the cooking? Just one cook or the whole family?
- How is the kitchen used? Just for cooking, sitting or entertaining too?
- How much storage is needed?
- What style do you like - modern, traditional, rustic, or something totally different?
- Where will you cook during the renovation?
- Have you considered future-proofing your kitchen, for retirement or other stages of life?
Which items do you consider a priority?
Design, Style + Layout
- Breakfast bar or kitchen island
- False ceiling
- Natural light
- General lighting
- Good task lighting
- Eating area or ability to sit at the benchtop
- Optimise kitchen view/outlook
- Luxury countertops
- Accent pieces
- Rustic elements
Storage + Cabinetry
- Appliance cupboard
- Space for special appliances
- Waste disposal unit
- Built-in rubbish bin or recycling bins
- New cupboards or new doors and handles
- Touch technology cabinetry
- Butler’s pantry
- Lots of easy-access drawers or pull-outs
- Display shelves
- Cabinet for bottles, herbs and spices
- Cabinets for kitchen utensils, accessories, cutlery and dinnerware
- Cabinet for baking utensils
- Cabinet for cleaning products
- Rotating corner cupboard shelving
- A wall oven or all in one stove
- Microwave and grill oven
- Fridge and freezer
- Beer and wine fridge
- New sink or double sink
- New tap - pull out faucet for rinsing
- Water filter
- Wiring for TV or Internet
- Wall finish
- Non-slip flooring
- Kitchen window treatment - blinds/curtains
- Benchtops - laminate, marble, wood, granite or concrete
This article featured in Issue 30 of Renovate Magazine. Renovate Magazine is an easy to use resource providing fresh inspiration and motivation at every turn of the page.
If you would like to discuss home renovation options for your next renovation project, please use the enquiry form on this page to provide us with your contact details. We will get in touch with you at a time that suits you to discuss your project. If you would like to provide us with more information about your project, we have a more comprehensive enquiry form on our "Get in touch" page too.
*All information is believed to be true at time of publishing and is subject to change.